Zion Mack is about to be promoted to big brother. During these last days, I’m musing on how big he’s gotten and soaking in all of his sweetness at this age.
Cars & dinosaurs are the stars of playtime right now. He will line up his cars in rows, race them, crash them, and create families of them. His beloved Lightning McQueen car is often misplaced and we have to do a sweep of the house to find it after his persistent requests! He has favorite dinosaurs, too, and loves to play with them as a family consisting of a mom, dad, and babies. Zion is very sweet with his stuffed animals who go by the endearing names of Joe Bear, Ed (bunny) & Harry (also a bunny) putting them night-night, rocking or reading to them. When daddy comes home, Zi loves playing hide-n-seek with him – he will get scared when he can’t find him and laugh hysterically when Adam jumps out, loving the thrill. He continues to be a physical kid (both on the affection side and the rough-wrestling side!) Zion also makes many pretend calls on his play cell-phone, usually to his cousin Ben!
Our favorite outings to get through the winter months have been the library to “get new books” as Zion exclaims & The Science Center. Zion refers to the Science Center as going to see dinosaurs because of their Dino-exhibit. Not sure how he’ll take it when the Dinos get replaced!
So much independence happening at this age. Zi helps me prepare dinner, can open the fridge and even started letting Charles in and out! He’s hit a whole new level of big-boy status since we potty-trained, too. (We mostly followed a book called Oh Crap, Potty Training if you’re interested.) It’s darn cute to see him in little undies too – he has Cars & Dinosaur ones (imagine that)! Zion can get dressed mostly on his own and has a legit opinion on what to wear. He especially loves picking out socks (mostly mis-matching ones) to put on his feet AND hands and enjoys trying on shoes — lately his flip-flops — which he proceeds to race through the house in.
Cute, Quirky & Notable
- Loves all things that roar – lions, tigers, bears, dinosaurs
- Says “awww, so cute” when he sees babies
- Does hypnotizing laps around our coffee table to the Lion King soundtrack
- Primarily enjoys putting stickers on his face
- Asks for bandaids any time he gets an owie (we’ve mandated bandaids for blood-only wounds)
- Knows his colors & some shapes
- Counts to 5, sometimes 10 (previously counted 1,2,4,9,10)
- Notices people’s eye color, especially that he has blue eyes
- Remembers people’s names (we are impressed with his memory!)
- Considers everyone his friends — Mommy, Daddy & Charles included
- Very sensitive when others are hurt or crying
- Discovered mommy’s “other” name, Allie
- Pronounces little as “liggle”
- I Want My Hat Back
- Library Lion
- The Pigeon Wants a Puppy
- Curious George
- Duck & Goose series
- “How do Dinosaurs…” series
- “Llama Llama” series
- Wow City
Most Requested Snacks
- Lara Bar/Snack Balls
- Cheese Sticks
Favorite Recent Quote:
“Baby brother born soon. Have tiny toes.”
The bedtime routine begins around 8:00p with pjs, books & prayer. Then Zion cuddles to sleep with one of us in his bed with him. He usually wakes sometime in the night and one of us goes in to lay with him. Zion gets up around 7:00a and naps 1x a day, after lunch, from around 1:00p-3:00p. We weaned from nursing last month, when he was only nursing just before bed at night.
- I would guess 27-29 lbs
- 2T & 3T clothing
- 18 Teeth (the canines finally appeared as well as his 2 year molars and Zion went to the dentist for the first time)
- Long flowing blonde curls that haven’t been cut yet 🙂